þrymheimr
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ÞRYMHIEMR
Home of the House of Uproar forums.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

BitGamer Review

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Thiazi

Thiazi

Number of posts : 1909
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Character sheet
Character Name:

BitGamer Review Empty
PostSubject: BitGamer Review   BitGamer Review EmptyFri Apr 29, 2011 9:05 am

Quote :
It quickly gets duller than a foam lightsaber,
http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/2011/04/29/star-wars-the-old-republic-preview/1
Back to top Go down
http://Prymheimr.com
Thrym

Thrym

Number of posts : 1277
Registration date : 2009-02-10

Character sheet
Character Name: Seum

BitGamer Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: BitGamer Review   BitGamer Review EmptySat Apr 30, 2011 11:06 am

That sounds about right. Bioware seems intent on making this game as bland as possible. I will still try it as things stand.

More importantly: did the other 3 die?
Back to top Go down
http://www.prymheimr.com
Randy

Randy

Number of posts : 326
Registration date : 2010-02-24

BitGamer Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: BitGamer Review   BitGamer Review EmptyMon May 02, 2011 2:56 pm

im still 'round. Brink next week?
Back to top Go down
hex!

hex!

Number of posts : 471
Registration date : 2010-05-24

BitGamer Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: BitGamer Review   BitGamer Review EmptyMon May 02, 2011 6:27 pm

Randy wrote:

Yep.
Back to top Go down
Randy

Randy

BitGamer Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: BitGamer Review   BitGamer Review EmptyMon May 02, 2011 6:37 pm

hex! wrote:
Randy wrote:

Yep.

PC right? and where are you preordering? each retailer offers a different customization theme pack
Back to top Go down
hex!

hex!

BitGamer Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: BitGamer Review   BitGamer Review EmptyMon May 02, 2011 8:18 pm

Picked it up from Steam
Back to top Go down
Randy

Randy

BitGamer Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: BitGamer Review   BitGamer Review EmptyMon May 02, 2011 11:17 pm

i'll end up doing that too, its easier.
Back to top Go down
Thiazi

Thiazi

Character sheet
Character Name:

BitGamer Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: BitGamer Review   BitGamer Review EmptyTue May 03, 2011 8:11 am

i hate you fuckers. pc = hackers and cheats galore. so now i have to decide if i want to waste 60 to listen to simon scream and cheats and fuckin cheaters for a week, before everyone stops playing it.
Back to top Go down
hex!

hex!

BitGamer Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: BitGamer Review   BitGamer Review EmptyTue May 03, 2011 10:01 am

I'd rather deal with the cheaters than not play at all because it's a freaking lame Xbox shooter.
Back to top Go down
Thrym

Thrym

Character sheet

BitGamer Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: BitGamer Review   BitGamer Review EmptyTue May 03, 2011 1:22 pm

I'm not buying the game either way, but out of curiousity: what makes playing on the PC preferrable? Everyone always says console is lame, but never why PC is great.
Back to top Go down
hex!

hex!

BitGamer Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: BitGamer Review   BitGamer Review EmptyTue May 03, 2011 2:18 pm

I don't mind playing Xbox games for racing, sports, COVER-BASED shooters (like Gears of War), etc., but for a FPS where you're required to aim fast and turn around a lot, I feel handicapped playing with a controller.

Here's an example to demonstrate what I mean :

Let's say I'm running around and at some point I get shot once in the back.

-With my controller, I will start strafing to try and dodge the bullets coming my way while I wait for my toon to complete it's 180 degree turn.

-With my mouse & keyboard, I'll spin my mouse to the side and will be facing my opponent in a split second.

With a controller, if you want to be able to turn around quickly, you'll nerf your ability to aim in medium-long range (too much sensitivity).

The fact that this game allows players to do ninja jumps and crazy moves sealed the deal for me. It's just easier to take advantage of that with a mouse & keyboard, especially considering I've always loved to play this way in shooters... If you only saw some of the strats our CoD4 team had back in the days... Ninja jumping to get to places 6 seconds faster and win the round.
Back to top Go down
Thrym

Thrym

Character sheet

BitGamer Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: BitGamer Review   BitGamer Review EmptyTue May 03, 2011 2:54 pm

I can understand not wanting to confront the learning curve, since you have more experience with PC. That doesn't necessarily sound like it makes it better, just that you are more comfortable with with what you have already learned. That's like sticking with a horse and buggy instead of learning to drive a car though.

Is ninja jumping sorta like combo cancelling? If not, is it 'achievable' with a controller?
Back to top Go down
Thiazi

Thiazi

Character sheet
Character Name:

BitGamer Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: BitGamer Review   BitGamer Review EmptyTue May 03, 2011 2:56 pm

the quick turn around doesnt balance out the addition of rampant cheats, glitches, hardware differences, etc.

The console is better, it creates a even playing ground. And is much harder to hack. With in a week of the games release on PC you will be able to pay $20 and have access to all the cheats and hacks you could ever want.
Back to top Go down
hex!

hex!

BitGamer Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: BitGamer Review   BitGamer Review EmptyTue May 03, 2011 3:52 pm

Thrym wrote:
I can understand not wanting to confront the learning curve, since you have more experience with PC. That doesn't necessarily sound like it makes it better, just that you are more comfortable with with what you have already learned. That's like sticking with a horse and buggy instead of learning to drive a car though.

Is ninja jumping sorta like combo cancelling? If not, is it 'achievable' with a controller?

This is not so much about learning the thing which I have (I played console shooters), but I just feel like this type of game is best played with a mouse & keyboard.

That's like buying a racing game and playing it with WASD keys... It can be done easily, but it's much more enjoyable with a controller or steering/pedal combo.

What I call ninja jumping is the action of taking advantage of the game's physics and map disposition to get to certain points that can't be accessed otherwise or getting there faster that with the "normal" path. Ex.: Jumping a big gap instead of dropping down and using the ladder.

I'm not sure if it can be done with a controller, but I'm guessing the difficulty would be higher since the "aim where I want to land" part of the trick would be much harder to achieve.

As for the points you brought up Joe, I agree with you that console makes for a more even playground, even though internet connections will still be an issue, the rest of the hardware is the same. I think your view about cheaters is a bit too caricatured(?) since I rarely bumped into a cheater in the last shooters I played on the PC, and when I exceptionally did, they were dismissed with a quick ban/vote kick. Note that the last shooters that I played big time were CoD games, TF2 and BF:BC.

A good plus for the console for me would have been Split-Screen multiplayer... but they did not implement that for console versions so I didn't see a good enough reason to switch.

If you really wanna play this game on Xbox (like really really), I'll just get a used copy of the game for xbox.
Back to top Go down
Thrym

Thrym

Character sheet

BitGamer Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: BitGamer Review   BitGamer Review EmptyTue May 03, 2011 6:38 pm

I don't want you to buy a game twice at all; just probing your mind for a change. It still sounds like 'just cause!' though.
Back to top Go down
Randy

Randy

BitGamer Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: BitGamer Review   BitGamer Review EmptyMon May 09, 2011 9:15 pm

pre-ordered on steam, will be playing in t-minus 3 hours.
Back to top Go down
hex!

hex!

BitGamer Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: BitGamer Review   BitGamer Review EmptyTue May 10, 2011 3:02 pm

Played it a bit late last night and I'm liking it so far. It's very stable of my computer and the change in gameplay is really interesting.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

BitGamer Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: BitGamer Review   BitGamer Review Empty

Back to top Go down

BitGamer Review
Page 1 of 1