þrymheimr
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ÞRYMHIEMR
Home of the House of Uproar forums.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

modx's New computer questions.

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
modx

Number of posts : 357
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Character sheet
Character Name: Solomon

modx's New computer questions. Empty
PostSubject: modx's New computer questions.   modx's New computer questions. EmptySun Jan 24, 2010 3:36 pm

Ok so I am in the market for a new computer. I was just wandering if you guys have an suggestions or know where I can get a good deal on a gaming compter.

Plus does anyone know which is better a AMD Phenom II X4 CPU or a AMD Athlon II X4 CPU and are Intel Core i7 any good as well. I would prefer to get a AMD Athlon II X4 CPU Since I have AMD Athlon 64 single-core CPU in my old compter right now and I have had good performance out of it.
Back to top Go down
Thrym

Thrym

Number of posts : 1277
Registration date : 2009-02-10

Character sheet
Character Name: Seum

PostSubject: Re: modx's New computer questions.   modx's New computer questions. EmptySun Jan 24, 2010 5:20 pm

I forgot the name of the website but Joe had it: good deals according to Joe (knows more than me).
Back to top Go down
http://www.prymheimr.com
modx

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: modx's New computer questions.   modx's New computer questions. EmptySun Jan 24, 2010 5:25 pm

Ok This is what I well most likely get. To note I did reconfigure what they had. I think it well be a good computer. Tell me what you guys think.

Click here to see the computer.

Last edited by modx on Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
modx

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: modx's New computer questions.   modx's New computer questions. EmptySun Jan 24, 2010 6:01 pm

Well AOC run on windows 7 64-bit?
Back to top Go down
Krig

Krig

Number of posts : 1014

Character sheet
Character Name: Alaric

PostSubject: Re: modx's New computer questions.   modx's New computer questions. EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 9:27 am

It will run on Windows 7 64 bit. It's what I use on my laptop.

EDIT: AoC was initially supposed to have an x64 version as well. If they ever do decide to finish/release it, running a 64 bit system will probably give you a small boost vs x86(32 bit)

Last edited by Krig on Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:37 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.prymheimr.com/
Krig

Krig

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: modx's New computer questions.   modx's New computer questions. EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 9:28 am

modx wrote:
Ok This is what I well most likely get. To note I did reconfigure what they had. I think it well be a good computer. Tell me what you guys think.

Click here to see the computer.

My first impression is that if you build it yourself, you can get much better deals/savings and better hardware.

Try getting a second hard drive and installing AoC on it instead of the primary windows drive. Change to single display performance mode, unless you are going to run multiple displays.

If you mostly game on your computer, I would scale back the CPU and get a better, or two, graphics cards. I am a sucker for crossfire/SLI though. Buy Samsung ram for cheap, its what is rebranded as some of the major performance brands. Cant remember brand I bought, thinking it was the best, just got Samsung with a sticker over the Samsung label. Wasn't Corsair, but it was a big one. Now I just get Samsung RAM.

EDIT: It was crucial
Back to top Go down
Thiazi

Thiazi

Number of posts : 1909

Character sheet
Character Name:

PostSubject: Re: modx's New computer questions.   modx's New computer questions. EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 11:02 am

Krig wrote:

My first impression is that if you build it yourself, you can get much better deals/savings and better hardware.

Try getting a second hard drive and installing AoC on it instead of the primary windows drive. Change to single display performance mode, unless you are going to run multiple displays.

If you mostly game on your computer, I would scale back the CPU and get a better, or two, graphics cards. I am a sucker for crossfire/SLI though. Buy Samsung ram for cheap, its what is rebranded as some of the major performance brands. Cant remember brand I bought, thinking it was the best, just got Samsung with a sticker over the Samsung label. Wasn't Corsair, but it was a big one. Now I just get Samsung RAM.

in truth that comp is a beast. I have a cyberpower and honestly their prices are normaly pretty close to building it yourself. try pricing those pieces out on newegg and see an extra 50-100 is worth it to me to not have to put it all together. just a couple quick searches $50 for the case, 100 powersupply, CPU 189, mother board 65, ram 250, video card 149, harddrive 50 all that adds up to about 850 not counting his speakers or any other small shit like thermal paste for the cpu so he could save a little bit if he built it himself but not enough to make it worth it to me...

I am not sure why you would install to a second hardrive instead of the primary? I have never heard of this effecting performance, does it?

You can go with cheaper ram but if you check the bench marks corsair wins, ofcourse that doesnt mean you will actually notice the difference. The biggest differnce i have notice with the name brands like corsair is the cooling fins/fans/whatever technology they use. I didnt notice what brand that had though.

As far as SLI/crossfire i have a sli board and to be honest its not worth it. Most software is not written for dual video cards and wont make use of it, and you could just spend the money on 1 better card instead of 2 cheaper ones. Now if you buy 2 or 3 top end cards and the software can use it well you just wasted your money because their isnt a game out there that needs 2 or 3 of those cards to run it on high settings. But some people like to waste 1k on video cards. I am running 4 gigs of corsair a intel 3.0 dual core and 1 hard drive with a 9800 gts card and can run GA on the highest settings at 50-60 FPS, and it is harder on a comp the AoC. But is truth if you can hit a stead 30 FPS then the game will run smooth.
Back to top Go down
http://Prymheimr.com
modx

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: modx's New computer questions.   modx's New computer questions. EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 11:27 am

Thanks guys for the help. I well must likly get the computer I have above. Since I really dont have time to build a computer. And I do have to agree with Thiazi the computer is a beast.
Back to top Go down
Krig

Krig

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: modx's New computer questions.   modx's New computer questions. EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 12:17 pm

I had some success having the second GPU doing anti-aliasing only and having primary doing everything else, as opposed to the AFR/Split screen techniques.

Installing AoC on second hard drive instead of the primary increases throughput. Windows transfers a lot of data in the background just doing crap. Putting AoC on the second hard drive relieves that bottleneck somewhat and speeds up load times significantly.

I re-use stuff a lot, so I wouldn't buy a case, power supply, hard drive and other miscelanneous shit.

If you don't have time, then I think its a good buy. It will run circles out of most other computers you can get, and its inexpensive too.
Back to top Go down
Thiazi

Thiazi

Character sheet
Character Name:

PostSubject: Re: modx's New computer questions.   modx's New computer questions. EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 1:12 pm

something else if you got the extra cash mod invest in more fans. the rig will generate alot of heat and the better your cool it the better and longer it will run.

I never realized that about the harddrives, maybe i will order a second drive and see if it makes any noticable difference.
Back to top Go down
modx

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: modx's New computer questions.   modx's New computer questions. EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 4:20 pm

Just wandering can you put a NVIDIA GeForce video card into a motherboard that as a integrated ATI radeon 3000. I really dont like to use ATI cards. All you have to do is delete the drives for the integrated card and I should be fine right?
Back to top Go down
Thiazi

Thiazi

Character sheet
Character Name:

PostSubject: Re: modx's New computer questions.   modx's New computer questions. EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 4:26 pm

I doubt you even have to delete the drivers, it should work fine as long as its compatable with the board. But if you are talking about the computer you are getting ready to buy it would not be an option if it wouldnt work.
Back to top Go down
Krig

Krig

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: modx's New computer questions.   modx's New computer questions. EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 5:11 pm

It should work fine.
Back to top Go down
Thiazi

Thiazi

Character sheet
Character Name:

PostSubject: Re: modx's New computer questions.   modx's New computer questions. EmptyWed Jan 27, 2010 4:01 pm

the real question is can i via creative macroing use my xbox 360 controller to play AoC?

afterlooking i found this http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/download/download.aspx?category=Gaming
not sure what it will do for me but i downloaded and installed i will test it out and update afterwards. Unless it gives me a way to remap the controller keys to keyboard keys i am not sure it will work though.

of course casters dont have combos so they should be easy to setup this way...

http://mattbrett.com/2005/11/configuring-your-xbox-360-controller-for-windows/

its gonna be very doable and heads are gonna roll even faster now
Back to top Go down
modx

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: modx's New computer questions.   modx's New computer questions. EmptyThu Jan 28, 2010 11:16 am

I was looking at the site and it looks like they have a 30-day trial for the software but after that you have to pay $20 for it. I don't think I would pay $20 for something like that. So I think I well just stay with the keyboard and mouse that's free and I am use to it.
Back to top Go down
Thiazi

Thiazi

Character sheet
Character Name:

PostSubject: Re: modx's New computer questions.   modx's New computer questions. EmptyThu Jan 28, 2010 12:11 pm

modx wrote:
I was looking at the site and it looks like they have a 30-day trial for the software but after that you have to pay $20 for it. I don't think I would pay $20 for something like that. So I think I well just stay with the keyboard and mouse that's free and I am use to it.
some people strive for mediocracy others to be better
Back to top Go down
modx

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: modx's New computer questions.   modx's New computer questions. EmptyFri Jan 29, 2010 10:50 am

Yes!!!, I get to order my new computer next Friday.
Back to top Go down
Thiazi

Thiazi

Character sheet
Character Name:

PostSubject: Re: modx's New computer questions.   modx's New computer questions. EmptyFri Jan 29, 2010 11:10 am

awesome
Back to top Go down
modx

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: modx's New computer questions.   modx's New computer questions. EmptyThu Feb 04, 2010 9:36 am

So I just ordered my badass computer. Can't wait for it to get here. I don't think I well get it this monday or tuesday to play aoc.
Back to top Go down
Thiazi

Thiazi

Character sheet
Character Name:

PostSubject: Re: modx's New computer questions.   modx's New computer questions. EmptyThu Feb 04, 2010 9:41 am

awesome
Back to top Go down
Krig

Krig

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: modx's New computer questions.   modx's New computer questions. EmptyThu Feb 04, 2010 11:50 am

Track the package, find out when its coming, and call in sick that day and the day after.
Back to top Go down
modx

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: modx's New computer questions.   modx's New computer questions. EmptySun Feb 07, 2010 7:18 pm

Hey joe, just wandering how long did it take for you to get your computer from Cyberpower?
Back to top Go down
Thiazi

Thiazi

Character sheet
Character Name:

PostSubject: Re: modx's New computer questions.   modx's New computer questions. EmptySun Feb 07, 2010 7:21 pm

i dont remember to be honest.
Back to top Go down
modx

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: modx's New computer questions.   modx's New computer questions. EmptySun Feb 07, 2010 7:32 pm

ok thanks, For me there saying that it well not ship for about two weeks(2/18/10).
Back to top Go down
modx

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: modx's New computer questions.   modx's New computer questions. EmptyTue Feb 09, 2010 2:44 pm

Just wanted to let you guys know that I am downloading aoc right now on my old computer, getting tired of waiting for my new computer to come. Don't know how well the game well run, but going to try it anyways. I am hoping to try and get on tonight but I really don't know how long it well take to download.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: modx's New computer questions.   modx's New computer questions. Empty

Back to top Go down

modx's New computer questions.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next